Competencies are sets of behaviors that define exemplary performance in a particular work context. By aligning individuals, teams and manager’s behaviors with the organizations’ business strategies, a foundation can exist to drive organizational change and improve business performance.
The benefits of defining competencies are:
- clarifying workforce standards and expectations
- Implementing a consistent selection process
- aligning individuals, teams, and managers with the organization’s business strategies
- creating empowerment, accountability, and alignment of coach, team member, and employer in performance development
- developing equitable, focused appraisal and compensation decisions
To the extent that your organization considers implementing a competency model, a solution can be implemented that defines competencies for a particular position, job family, or an entire organization.